Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Understanding Leadership - Tues., Feb. 7, 2017

This week's assignment was to make a visual representation of my thoughts on the leadership readings this week.  Though I used the topic "Leadership" as the center of my mind map, I really wanted to put lightning bolts out from all sides with the word CHANGE written on each lightning bolt.  Change effects leadership every second of the day.  It's like the weather in Vermont, wait 5 minutes and it will change.  

Learning about mind maps and visual note-taking on was not a new concept, but not something I had a great deal of practice with.  I spent hours researching different sites that I could use.  I wanted to do just good old pencil and paper, but forged on to find "Mindmeister."  I liked the samples and thought I could make them work for me.  One of its greatest strengths is the video instruction that comes along with it.  Truly mind maps for dummies and it was advertised for free!  BUT free has a cost as I couldn't download a JPEG or PDF, so I'm linking the map.  

My very rough draft  ViSUALIZATION of the Article:  Leadership Past, Present and Future , and two different resources on the Diigo group about leadership theory, traits, and styles was created on MindMeister's free application.  

I used "Bubbl.org" for another Mind map I made, but wanted to try something new for this posting so after scouring the links provided this week, I decided on MindMeister.   I didn't buy it, as I'm not sure it's the best.  I need to experiment with it more and try it out with teachers to see what they think and then I might get the school professional subscription.  

Using mind maps and visual note-taking "digitally" is a paradigm shift from whiteboards and old-fashioned overhead projectors.  As a science teacher, I was always creating mind maps, but doing it digitally is world-altering different.  I'm excited about learning this new tool.  













No comments:

Post a Comment